You may need to print text messages from iPhone for a court case, immigration documentation, or just to have a memento of a lovely conversation you have on your iPhone/iPad/iPod. Here are two methods to print iPhone text messages, for various situations depending on how many messages you need to print, and how you want the printed iPhone text messages to look.
How to Print Text Messages from iPhone for Free
The first option to print text messages from iPhone is to use the built-in iPhone screenshot function to take pictures of your text messages directly in the iPhone Messages app. This can work great if you only have a few messages that you need to print, need a free method to print your iPhone text messages, or have a lot patience.
- Open the Messages/WeChat/WhatsApp app get the texts you need to print showing on the iPhone screen.
- Press the iPhone home button and sleep/wake button at the same time to take a screenshot. Repeat to get all the text messages you need in screenshots.
- Printing screenshots directly from the iPhone is possible from the Photos app, but the result will likely get cut off. We recommend either emailing yourself the screenshots or importing the screenshots to your PC or Mac and printing from your PC or Mac.
- Arrange the screenshots into a document using Word or WordPad (PC) or Pages (Mac).
- Print your document using File > Print.
We don't recommend this option if your text messages are longer than a few screen lengths or if you need messages with the date, time, and contact information on each message.
How to Print Longer Text Messages from iPhone
The second option to print text messages from iPhone is to use a third party program. We recommend Decipher TextMessage for printing text messages from iPhone, because it has been vetted in court scenarios and provides important meta-data like the date and time as well as contact information on each message in the printout. Decipher TextMessage is available for Windows PC and Mac.
Step 1: Get Decipher TextMessage > Install and run it. Select your iPhone on the homepage of the program and then select the text messages you need to print.
Step 2: Click Export button in the program and select the format you want to print the text messages in, like PDF, TEXT or HTML.
Step 3: View the messages on your computer. Print them using File menu > Print.
How to Print Text Messages from iPhone 8/X/7/6/6s - Step 3