Today almost everyone with an iPhone or iPad has a large amount of important SMS and text messages saved on their mobile phone or tablet. If you are like most of us, you probably also rarely delete any text messages off of your iPhone! As a result, each of our personal iPhones or iPads are basically large repositories containing our entire text message history of all our conversations, both personal and business related.
When the day comes that you need a hard copy record of your SMS or iMessage conversations, the question is simple: How can I print out text messages from my iPhone? Luckily, there are a few simple solutions for printing iPhone text messages that we will outline here today.
Items needed to print text messages from iPhone / iPad
Mac or Windows Computer
Taking screenshots of your iPhone SMS or iMessages is one solution that works for some individuals, however this method usually works best when there is the need to print only a very small amount of text messages. If you fall into this category and have a limited number text messages that need printing out, here is how to take an iPhone screenshot and capture the text messages or iMessages.
Steps make to take screenshots of text messages on iPhone
- Open the Messages app on your iPhone and navigate to the specific text messages that you want to screen capture.
- Select the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time. For an iPhone X, instead select the Side button on the right side and the Volume Up button at the same time to take the screenshot. If your sound is on you'll immediately hear a "camera" sound when the screenshot is successfully captured.
- Navigate to your iPhone camera roll and you'll see the new screenshot present!
- Forward the screenshot from the camera roll to your email address.
- Open your email client on your computer and print the screenshot attachment.
Again, if you only need to print a few text messages, the screenshot method might be the way to go. However, if you have more than just a few iPhone text messages to print out, the screenshot method is mostly like not for you.
Disadvantages of screenshots for saving text messages
Taking a screenshot of every single text message that you need to print can take forever and take up a lot of your important time.
With a large number of screenshots, you have to manually order and organize the images so that you can print them chronologically. Some users also then try to import the images into a program like Microsoft Word, Adobe InDesign, or Preview, to properly collate and organize the print outs. That is a lot of work!
Screenshots can easily cut off important information in the text message conversation. Similarly, often times unnecessary extra borders or other iPhone screen data is contained in the image that is not relevant to the messages themselves.
For these reasons, if you have more than a few messages, we don't recommend using the screenshot method to print your text messages. It's often too time consuming to be worth the hassle!
Decipher TextMessage is a desktop program that enables any iPhone user to quickly save and print messages in just a few easy steps. The program first saves text messages on iPhone to your Mac or Windows computer and then you can immediately print out the exported PDF of all your SMS messages or iMessages. Quick, simple, and easy!
Follow these four steps to print iPhone text messages
- Plug-in your iPhone on your computer and launch iTunes. Select your iPhone or iPad in the iTunes window and then pick the "Back Up Now" option.
- Open Decipher TextMessage on your computer, either Windows or Mac.
- When you see all your iPhone contacts listed in the middle column of the program, choose any contact and then click "Export as PDF." You'll be prompted to save the text messages to your computer.
- Open the saved PDF of your iPhone text messages on your computer and select the Print option.
Can I print iPhone text messages from a specific date range?
Yes, you can print text messages from only certain dates! Many iPhone users don't want to print every single text message from a specific contact but rather they prefer to narrow down and only print SMS messages from a few days or even a single day. To accomplish this, you can simply choose the Export PDF w/ Date Range option in the program.
How to print text messages with the time-stamp and contact on every single text message
Decipher TextMessage has a special preference that lets users print text messages with the contact info and phone number on every single iPhone text message, both sent and received. Simply select "Preferences" in the menu and make sure there is a check mark next to "Show Contact on Every Message."
This is useful for business, trial, and legal reasons. Also many lawyers require that the contact name and phone number be visible on every single text messages for documentation and verification purposes. This feature provides a quick visual reference of who each message is from when anyone is browsing through print outs of the text messages.
Any questions about how to print text messages on iPhone?
Learning how to print iPhone text messages is a very useful skill that comes in handy both for personal text messages and also for business-related SMS exchanges and conversations.
If you need any further advice on how to print text messages on iPhone or iPad, simply email us or leave a comment below and someone from either our Phoenix or San Francisco team will respond. Happy text message printing!